Jerk Seitan

Good news! I FINALLY have a computer! And you'll be happy to know that although I haven't been able to post these last few months, I HAVE been cooking up a storm and taking lots of photos. I thought I'd kick off with something really great and unique, so I chose Jerk Seitan. I've never had Jerk Chicken (I think it's usually chicken?) so I don't really know what to compare this to, but if you're looking for something with lots of flavor and kick, this is the recipe for you! It's sweet and spicy and tangy and just overall... yummy. I used my favorite and perfect seitan recipe from Vegan With A Vengeance, and the Jerk Seitan recipe is actually from the same book. I think this is a great recipe if you're getting sick of eating the same ol' thing every night, and you have some extra time to whip up something special. I served this with coconut jasmine rice and sauteed spinach. I can assure you this will certainly impress whoever it is you're cooking for!



Ingredients
Serves 4-6


Marinade
1/2 large white onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 tbsp. fresh ginger, chopped
3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
3 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 tbsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. ground or freshly grated nutmeg

Seitan
2 cups seitan, cut into thick strips
2 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, thickly sliced (about 1 cup)
1 green bell pepper, seeded and thickly sliced



1. Prepare the marinade by pureeing all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor until relatively smooth (it's ok for it to be a little chunky, and don't be alarmed with how gross it will look...).

2. Place the seitan in a shallow bowl and pour the marinade over it. Mix to coat. Cover and let marinade for an hour.

3. In a large skillet, saute the onions and peppers in olive oil over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Remove the seitan from the marinade and reserve the liquid. Saute for 10 minutes, until the seitan has browned to your liking. Add the remaining marinade and cook for about 2 minutes to heat the sauce through.



As I mentioned before, I served this with Coconut Rice (also a recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance) and sauteed spinach. I did this because it's what Isa suggested! Ladle a little extra sauce over each survey and enjoy this super flavorful dish!

0 comments: