Herb-Scalloped Potatoes


Before I went vegan, I used to love those boxed scalloped potatoes. And up until I discovered this magnificent recipe, I was checking the ingredients on all of those creamy potato boxes hoping that maybe, just maybe, there would be a way to recreate it. It never dawned on me that it's possible to make scalloped potatoes from scratch! And then, Veganomicon came in to my life and I discovered a scalloped potatoes recipe that is just as delicious and creamy as the kind mom used to make. I make this side a lot, and I think if you give it a try, you will too! Mmm Mmm Mmm!




Ingredients
Serves 4


2 lbs. white potatoes (3 average sized) scrubbed & sliced into 1/8" thick disks
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp. nutritional yeast or flour (I highly recommend nutritional yeast for this)
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
Several pinches of freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 400*. Lightly grease a 9 X 13-inch glass baking dish or ceramic casserole pan

2. Layer the potatoes in the pan, allowing them to slightly overlap. Lay them across the short way first, overlapping a little less than a half of each potato slice. In each subsequent row, overlap the potatoes by about one-quarter of each potato slice. It should look something like this:



3. Pour most of the vegetable broth over the potatoes, reserving about 3 tbsp. (no need to be exact). Pour the soy milk and drizzle the olive oil over potatoes, making sure to coat each one. If you need to use a little more than 1 tbsp., that's ok.

4. Scatter the minced garlic over everything, then sprinkle 2 tbsp. of the nutritional yeast over all the potatoes. Drizzle the remaining vegetable broth- try not to wash all the nutritional yeast off the potatoes; you just want to get it moist, so drizzle slowly. Then sprinkle with the last tbsp. of nutritional yeast, the herbs, and the salt.

5. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes, and voila! Enjoy your delicious, flavorful, soft and creamy, homemade scalloped potatoes.




3 comments:

Erin Helgerson said...

Yum! Those look amazing! I love scalloped potatoes. I want some of these right this second!

Elizabeth Bond said...

Yummy! I can't wait to make these! Oh, I totally made some stuffed shells with pesto and it's our new favorite! I'll be posting about it soon and giving you (and Isa!) all the credit! Glad you're up and running again!

Jaclyn said...

Did you really?? I don't think I've made that recipe since I blogged about it. It's a lot more difficult when you don't have a garden of basil just waiting to be mashed into pesto! But you're right, that recipe IS the best!!! I'm glad you liked it!!