1/2 lb. spiral pasta
Spicy fennel tempeh:
1 15 oz. package tempeh, cubed
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. vegetable broth
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 tbsp. fennel seeds
1 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
5 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1 bunch broccoli rabe (1/2-3/4 pound), tough stems trimmed, chopped coarsely
2-3 tbsp. white wine, water, or vegetable broth
2 tsp. red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Boil water and cook pasta. Drain and toss with a teaspoon or two of olive oil. Keep covered in a large bowl or the cooking pot. While the pasta is boiling, prepare the tempeh and broccoli rabe.
Prepare the tempeh
1. Place the tempeh in a large, nonstick skillet. In a measuring cup, whisk together the broth, soy sauce, tomato paste, garlic, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, oregano, and red wine vinegar. Pour over the tempeh, stir, and cook over medium heat until the liquid starts to simmer. Cover and steam the tempeh for 8 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
2. Transfer the tempeh to a bowl and crumble about half of the cubes with the back of the spoon.
3. Wipe down the skillet to remove any leftover tempeh sauce, return the skillet to medium heat, and add 2 tbsp. of oil. Add the tempeh and stir-fry for 4 - 5 minutes, until it begins to brown. Remove from the heat, add to the pasta, and keep covered.
Prepare the broccoli rabe:
1. Pour the remaining olive oil into the pan and add the garlic. When the garlic begins to sizzle, stir and cook it for about a minute. Add the broccoli rabe, stir to coat it with the oil, sprinkle with a little salt, and cover the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp. of the white wine and steam for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the broccoli rabe is bright green and its stems are tender.
2. Remove the cover and continue to saute for an additional minute or two, until any excess liquid is evaporated. Pour the cooked broccoli rabe onto the tempeh and pasta, sprinkle with red wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Toss everything to mix.