Shepherd's Pie

This is not your typical Shepherd's Pie. It may even anger some people because of how non-traditional it is. But it doesn't anger me at all. In fact, just the opposite - it pleases me immensely. So I will continue to use this recipe and I will continue to call it Shepherd's Pie. The recipe is straight from Skinny Bitch In the Kitch. FYI, the Skinny Bitch books are not only filled with useful information, but they're also hilarious. I even find myself laughing out loud at recipes. It's nuts!
Anyway, this is what I made for dinner tonight. And it's awesome. I also made cupcakes and homemade applesauce because I'm a maniac. More on those tomorrow.



Ingredients
(Serves 6 to 8)


1 tbsp. refined coconut oil (I used plain ol' olive oil)
2 shallots, thinly sliced (I used a little onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used... just kidding!)
1 tsp. herbes de Provence
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup lentils
About 3 cups vegetable stock
2 tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 bunch (about 1/2 pound) chard (I used collards. I've also used kale in this recipe and I think all are good) leafy parts only, cut into 1/2-inch strips
6 cups mashed potatoes (I usually cheat and use the boxed which works just fine but I went the extra mile and made homemade mashed potatoes this time)

I was extra excited about this recipe tonight because most of my ingredients came straight from the Bluffton Farmer's Market which opened on Thursday! Yay!



1. Preheat oven to 350*F.

2. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the shallots (or onion) and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Add the garlic, herbes de Provence, and 1/2 tsp. of the salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until the shallots are browned. Add the lentils (side note - I used to be a lentil-hater and this recipe changed my mind) and 2 1/2 cups of the vegetable broth, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the lentils are tender and the stock is absorbed, 35 to 40 minutes (it usually takes me a good hour). Stir in the lentils and transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish, spreading it evenly.

3. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of vegetable broth to the stockpot and bring to a boil. Add the chard (or green of your choice) and the remaining 1/2 tsp. of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until your greens are tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 4 minutes.

4. Add the greens to your casserole dish spreading it evenly over the lentils. Top with the mashed potatoes.

5. Place the casserole dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until thoroughly heated through and the potatoes are slightly browned, about 30 minutes. Serve warm and ENJOY!! We did!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been one of my favorite vegan recipes since reading Skinny Bitch almost 15 years ago, but I changed it up a little by using sliced leeks instead of chard to give it a little more flavor. My family loves it!