Savory Tofu and Vegetables Over Tomato Couscous


This is what I made for dinner last night. This recipe is awesome because not only is it soooo delicious, but it's super easy, cheap, and healthy. What more could you ever ask for?? I got this recipe from an issue of  Vegetarian Times probably over a year ago. I clipped it and pasted it to some construction paper and it's been with me ever since.







Ingredients
(serves 4)


1 6 oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts (YUM.)
1 14 oz. package extra firm tofu, drained and cubed
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. black pepper, divided
2 Tbs. olive oil
4 medium carrots, thinly sliced ( 1 1/2 cups)
2 medium leeks, white and light green parts thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 cup whole wheat couscous
2 cloves garlic, minced

1. Combine artichokes & liquid, tofu, cumin, and 3/4 tsp. pepper in a nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook about 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring constantly. You'll be surprised how quickly this happens- luckily I had a stirrer on site to watch over this carefully as I prepared the veggies. Once the liquid has evaporated, transfer to a bowl and set aside.

2. Heat oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, leeks, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Cook about 10 minutes (it was more like 7 for me) or until carrots are tender and leeks are lightly browned.

3. Meanwhile, bring tomatoes and 2/3 cup water to a boil. Add the couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.

4. Add the chopped garlic and reserved tofu mixture to the skillet. Cook 3 minutes over medium heat, or until heated through. Serve tofu and vegetables over tomato couscous.

Like I said, this recipe really is super easy and despite its relative simplicity, it's packed with flavor. I think the tomato couscous alone is awesome - and there's nothin' to it!! 4 thumbs up in my house!

Per request, here's the nutritional info for this one:
Per serving: 372 cal; 18 g prot; 16 g total fat (1.5 g sat. fat); 47 g carb; 0 mg chol; 310 mg sod; 10 g fiber; 9 g sugars

4 comments:

Vick said...

Yum!!! Make some for me when you visit!

Kim Vickery said...

That does look good! Thanks for adding the nutritional info. Yes, please make it for us when you come visit!!!

Kim Vickery said...

One more thing...how do I print just the recipe out?...is there a print link?

Jaclyn said...

I believe if you click the title of the post, it will pull up just that post and you can print it from the browser... I'll certainly look in to a "print this recipe" button though!! Good idea! :) And yes, I will definitely cook for you when I'm there visiting! I need some more taste-testers!