Roasted Asparagus Risotto


This is another recipe I chose in my quest to try new and exciting things. My neighbor tells me about the awesome risotto she makes all of the time, so it's been something I've wanted to make for a while. I thought it was just a fancy word for just plain ol' regular rice, and I was very poorly mistaken... If you're craving something creamy, and flavorful, and rich, then you really need to give this a try. After my first bite, I was hooked. I LOVE it with the roasted asparagus used in this recipe, and I'm excited to try it with other flavors as well. This recipe involves a lot of stirring and standing over your oven, but it seemed like it cooked fairly fast to me so it wasn't a big deal. I just served this with some garlic bread and it was plenty filling. I can not WAIT to make this again and I think this would be something perfect to cook for company. YUM!! Oh, and this recipe is from Donna Klein's Vegan Italiano.
Ingredients
(Makes 4 Main-Dish or 6 Side-Dish Servings)

3/4 lb. medium asparagus, trimmed
2 1/2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. coarse salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 to 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, heated to a simmer (I used Better Than Bouillon No Beef Base)
Salt, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 425. Lightly oil a baking sheet with sides. 

2. Place the asparagus o the prepared baking sheet and toss with 1/2 tbsp. of the oil, coarse salt, and pepper. Spread in a single layer, Roast 10 minutes, or until just tender and slightly browned (YUM), turning once. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Cut into 2-inch pieces and set aside.


3. In a large deep-sided nonstick skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring until softened but not browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.

4. Add the wine and cook, stirring constantly, until almost all the wine has been absorbed. Add 1/2 cup of the simmering broth and cook, stirring constantly, until almost all the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding the simmering broth by 1/2 cup, cooking and stirring after each addition until it is almost completely absorbed and the rice begins to soften, about 15 minutes after the first addition of broth (This may seem a little complicated, but trust me, you'll get the hang of it). 



5. Add the reserved asparagus, salt, and pepper and another 1/2 cup of broth, stirring constantly until almost all the liquid has been absorbed. Add remaining broth by 1/2 cup as needed, continuing to stir constantly until the mixture is creamy, the rice is tender yet firm to the bite, and almost all the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and serve at once.


0 comments: