Portobello Stroganoff


I know it's been a while since my last post, but believe me, I'm still at it!! I think lately I haven't been trying too many new recipes, but instead turning to my old favorites when I get home from work every night. BUT, I still love vegan cooking and baking more than ever and I'll forever be flipping through my cookbook collection in search of new tasty recipes to try and share with my peeps.
Anyway, I recently recreated a recipe I've made several times from Vegan With A Vengeance called "Seitan-Portobello Stroganoff". You may notice the "Seitan" is missing from the title of this post, and that's because instead of the usual seitan I use to make this recipe (which really, is equally as delicious) I tried it with Gardein's Beefless Tips. And just as a side note, I'd like to mention that Matt and I are seriously LOVING all of Gardein's stuff - especially the Crispy Tenders and Chick'n Good Stuff (and I'm not being paid to say this - however, Gardein, if you're listening, I'll take some free samples). Anyway, our grocery store just started carrying this line and we've been pretty excited about it all.
Back to the recipe! This, of course, is really yummy and earthy and hearty. And honestly, if you're feeling lazy or lacking ingredients, this recipe would be awesome without Beefless Tips OR Seitan. Just the mushroomy goodness over some pasta would be a great meal!

Ingredients
(Serves 6)


1 or 2 packages of Gardein Beefless Tips OR 3 1/2 cups seitan, slice in to thin, wide strips
2 tbsp. arrowroot powder or cornstarch
2 cups cold water or vegetable broth
8 tsp. olive oil
1 cup shallots, thinly sliced
1 large onion, quartered and sliced into half moons
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 portobello caps, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1 cup Burgundy cooking wine (I used Marsala)
1 tbsp. Hungarian paprika
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup plain soy milk
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 pound wide noodles (I used Publix brand Eggless Noodles)

1. Dissolve the cornstarch in the 2 cups of water and set aside.

2. Heat 2 tbsp. of the olive oil in a skillet iver medium-high heat. Add the shallots and onions, saute for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cremini and portobello mushrooms, and thyme. Saute for 15 minutes.


3. Meanwhile, heat a cast-iron skillet with the remaining 2 tsp. of olive oil, just long enough to coat it. Add the seitan or beefless tips and saute over medium heat for about 25 minutes (or 10 minutes for the beefless tips), until it's browned and crispy.


4. Add the salt, wine, and paprika to the mushroom mixture. Turn the heat up to high to reduce the liquid, about 10 minutes.

5. Lower the heat to medium-high, add the arrowroot/cornstarch mixture, stir well, and let the sauce thicken, about 5 minutes. Add the nutritional yeast and mix well until it is dissolved. Add the soy milk and mustard and bring the heat down to low; be very careful not to let it boil because it can make the soy milk and mustard bitter. Add the seitan/tips and peas; cook for 10 minutes.

6. Divide the noodles into bowls and mix with the stroganoff. It is best to mix immediately so that the pasta doesn't stick. Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Elizabeth Bond said...

Yum! Worth the wait!
I can't wait to make this!

Billie said...

This looks really yummy and I can't wait to try it. The recipe calls for "1/2 nutritional yeast" but it doesn't say if it is 1/2 cup or tablespoon or what? I've never used nutritional yeast so I'd rather not wing it.

Thanks.

Jaclyn said...

Billie, sorry about that- I fixed it! It's supposed to be 1/2 cup. Hope you like it!!